Acoustic Fencing Does It Work Sound Reducing Fencing Barriers
Acoustic fencing for traffic noise does it work? Let’s find out.
All Traffic Acoustic Fencing Must Be…
1. As tall as possible, to stop highway noise escaping over the top of the barrier.
2. Constructed to create the most effective acoustic sound shadow possible.
3. As dense as possible, to stop road noise passing through the outdoor acoustic panels.
4. Have no gaps or holes in or under fencing barriers that allow road noise to pass through.
5. Wide enough, so that traffic noise does not get around the sides of the barrier walls.
6. Have an irregular surface to diffuse the sound when it hits the sound reducing fencing.
How Acoustic Fencing Work
Smooth surfaced, reflective concrete acoustic fencing, will bounce most of the noise back into the environment. The preferred noise wall option, is one controls the sound, absorbs, diffuses and reduces the noise.
The majority of highway noise travels by line of sight, if you can see the trucks you will be able to hear them, a low wall will not stop the noise from the bigger and heavier trucks on our roads today.
Most timber fences are a very poor acoustic garden fencing, road noise will travel, over, through and under the fence. With no reduction in sound volumes
This hedge lets noise over, under and through it. Dense plantings must be over 60 foot wide before they provide any significant noise reduction.
The corrugated iron fence is so thin that more than 80% of road noise from a large truck will pass straight through the fence. Not a good noise reduction fence. If you choose this, the answer to acoustic fencing does it work is no.
This gabion wall’s surface diffuses and reduces the traffic noise. The noise is unable to go under or through the wall. This creates an acoustic sound shadow behind the wall.
When constructing an acoustic wall to eliminate highway noise. The height, width and location of the noise barrier wall, dictates the size and shape of your noise shadow.
Noise from heavy trucks is around 85db. The denser the wall the more noise it stops, a 100% solid timber fence will only stop 25db of noise, the remaining sounds passes through. The gabion noise barrier wall stops the most direct road noise.
Back to the question, acoustic fencing does it work? Yes, choose the right acoustic fencing for your project, it will work.